What do I need to do before and after laser tattoo removal treatment?
Here are some pointers on how to get the best from your advanced PicoSure® Laser treatment:
- No sun exposure, tanning beds or sunless tanning cream for 4 weeks prior to treatment. Sun exposure decreases the effectiveness of the Laser treatment and can increase the chance of post-treatment complications.
- Use a broad spectrum UVA/UVB sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher.
- Apply to the treated area every 2 hours when exposed to the sun. It is recommended that you make this a part of your skin care routine.
- Remove all makeup, creams & oils prior to treatment.
- After cleansing and while skin is still moist, apply a thin layer of Aloe Vera or Aquaphor ointment to the treated tattoo.
- Apply a non-stick pad over the tattoo until it is healed.
- Avoid sun exposure to the treated area. Use a broad spectrum UVA/UVB sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher. Apply to the treated area every 2 hours when exposed to the sun. It is recommended that you make this a part of your skin care routine.
- Cleanse the treated area at least daily with water and mild soap, and then pat dry.
- Do not rub or scratch the area.
- Discomfort may be relieved by using cool gel packs or acetaminophen.
- If blistering occurs, keep the area moist by applying Aloe Vera or Aquaphor 3 times per day or antibiotic ointment on the recommendation of your GP.
- Avoid swimming, soaking or using hot tubs/whirlpools until the skin heals.
The sensation of the laser light on skin is uncomfortable and may feel like a slight pinprick or the sensation of heat. These sensations may last for a few hours.
When you have a Laser Tattoo Removal treatment, you will see some slight whitening or ‘frosting’ over the area that you have treated. This is a normal part of the Laser Tattoo removal process, and the frosting will fade naturally in a number of hours. It may not be as evident on tattoos that have had multiple treatments.
Tattoos may blister or have pinpoint bleeding for a few days after treatment. Following a pigment treatment, the treated areas may be red and slightly swollen, and pigment may darken and slough off in 7-10 days.
We will run over all details of your treatment with you in person when you come in for your free consultation. All FADE clinicians are certified and are there to offer you expert advice - if you have any questions or worries before or after your treatment, we’re here to help.
Rest assured when you come in to us at FADE you are receiving the gentlest, fastest and most effective Laser Tattoo Removal treatment available.